Bone Inlay products are so unique, and there is just so much to love and appreciate about them. In fact, the more you learn about these pieces, you will find that they really are more like works of art than simply furniture or homewares.
Discover 5 facts about these bone inlay products to deepen your knowledge and appreciation of these stunning and timeless pieces:
- The unique art of bone inlay comes exclusively from a place in India called Rajasthan.
- All products by Mahlia Interiors are made of 100% ethically-sourced camel bone, or mother of pearl shells. Each finished piece of furniture is certified by the auditing agency, WCCB (Wildlife Crime Control Bureau).
- The entire production process is done by hand and not with a machine. From creating the wooden frame, to carving the inlay and designing the pattern .. our team of incredibly talented artisans produce the entire piece from start to finish.
(Click here to find out more about how these products are made)
- These products can take up to 4 weeks to be handmade. In some cases, it can take 6 weeks. For example if we are bleaching pieces of bone, or creating coloured dyed reverse bone inlay.
- The origins of bone inlay transcended countries, centuries and civilisations, with evidence of inlay in the embellished furniture of: Ancient Egypt, lacquerware of 18th Century Japan, and the architecture erected during India’s Mughal Empire.
Lana & Bec